On the off chance that you need to think about the strategy to change MAC Address of your system interface, this post is uniquely composed for you. Here, I will direct you on the best way to change MAC Address on Windows, macOS, and Linux in the most basic way.
Additionally, you will gain proficiency with certain key snippets of data about the Mac address of an OS.
WHAT IS MAC ADDRESS?
Macintosh (Media Access Control) Address, otherwise called Physical Address or Hardware Address is a one of a kind character of each system interface associated with your PC. Your switch, organize card, remote gadget or some other system interface, everybody will have an exceptional MAC address that you can without much of a stretch change intentionally.
Recollect that each system interface has a special MAC address. For instance, in the event that you are utilizing a PC having a wired and a remote system association, at that point each system interface will have a one of a kind MAC address. These addresses are utilized to speak with each other at the most minimal systems administration level.
WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF MAC ADDRESS?
There are a few purposes or uses the Mac Address. We’ll investigate the most widely recognized ones to comprehend it better. At the point when a program on a PC attempts to arrive at a site page from any server on the Internet, the solicitation goes through different layers of the TCP/IP convention. At that point, the web address you composed is meant the IP address of the server. Furthermore, your PC sends the solicitation to the switch which sends it back to the web. During this procedure, your system card just checks the MAC address of the interface at the equipment level.
Other regular elements of the MAC address incorporate gadget validation, center systems administration, MAC address separating, MAC verification, Static IP task and smooth systems administration between gadgets.
HOW TO CHANGE MAC ADDRESS?
There could be fluctuating circumstances when you’ll have to change the MAC address. For the most part, the system cards permit you to change the MAC Address to a custom one. This is done through the setup window. The procedure to change the MAC address is somewhat extraordinary on different working frameworks. We’ll present to you the progression shrewd aides for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
1. STEPS TO CHANGE MAC ADDRESS ON WINDOWS
On Windows, you need to experience the Device Manager to change the MAC address. Adhere to the directions referenced beneath so as to comprehend what you have to do.
- Press the Windows + R key to trigger the Run exchange box. Type devmgmt.msc in it and hit Enter. This will dispatch the Device Manager.
- In the Device Manager, look down and grow the Network Adapters.
- Presently right-click on the system interface for which you need to change the physical address and pick Properties.
- Next, change to the Advanced tab on the Properties window. At that point, select Network Address from the Property list. Check the Value choice and enter the custom MAC address with no runs or colons.
- At long last, click on OK to spare the changes.
Note: If you can’t discover the Network Address in the Property list, at that point your system driver isn’t perfect with this component.
That is it. You have now set a custom MAC Address for the specific system interface on your Windows PC.
2. STEPS TO CHANGE MAC ADDRESS ON MAC OS X
The System Preferences sheet of Mac OS X shows the MAC address of each system interface.
In any case, it doesn’t permit you to tweak it. Along these lines, you should utilize the Terminal application for that. Adhere to the directions referenced beneath so as to recognize what you have to do.
- Press the Command + Space key, type Terminal and afterward hit Enter. This will dispatch the Terminal window on your Mac.
- Presently run the accompanying order in it. Make sure to supplant “en0” with the name of your system interface without the colons and your MAC address.
- Order: sudo ifconfig en0 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
Note: The system interface is typically either en0 or en1 in the event that you are designing Mac’s WiFi or Ethernet interface. Run the ifconfig order to see a rundown of interfaces on the off chance that you don’t have the foggiest idea about a specific system interface’s name.
That is it. This is the manner by which you change the MAC address on Mac.
3. STEPS TO CHANGE MAC ADDRESS ON LINUX
There are two different ways to change the MAC Address on Linux. The primary technique is fundamentally the same as that of Mac in which you need to run specific orders. What’s more, the other is to utilize Network Manager on present day Linux dispersions like Ubuntu. How about we investigate the two techniques.
Strategy 1: RUNNING COMMANDS
Adhere to the directions referenced beneath so as to comprehend what you have to do.
- Right off the bat, you need to bring down the system interface. Run the accompanying order for that: sudo ifconfig eth0 down.
- Presently run the accompanying order: sudo ifconfig eth0 hw ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx. Make sure to supplant “eth0” with the name of the system interface and custom MAC address of your decision.
- Next, bring the organize interface back up with this order: sudo ifconfig eth0 up.
- Adjust the fitting arrangement record under/and so on/organize/interfaces.d/ or the /and so on/organize/interfaces document in the event that you need this change to consistently be powerful at each boot. In the event that you don’t do this, at that point the MAC Address will reset whenever you restart.
That is it.
Strategy 2: USE NETWORK MANAGER
The Network Manager on Ubuntu gives a graphical method to modify the MAC address. Adhere to the guidelines referenced beneath so as to realize how to utilize that.
- On Ubuntu, click on the Network symbol from the top board.
- Snap on Edit Connections and afterward pick the Network Connection you need to alter. When chosen, click on Edit.
- Presently change to the Ethernet tab and enter a MAC Address of your decision in the Cloned MAC address field.
- At long last, spare the changes.
That is it. This change is brief on Linux and will be reset when you reboot whenever. Along these lines, on the off chance that you need to make it perpetual, you need to utilize a content that naturally runs this order on each boot.
That is the means by which you change the MAC Address of any Network Interface on various stages. You have now figured out how to transform it on Windows, Mac, and Linux. On the off chance that you need me to clarify the procedure for some other OS also, let me know utilizing the remark box. I’ll be happy to help you more.