Government of India is executing Scholarship Programme for Diaspora Children (SPDC) for the children of Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs) and Non-Resident Indians(NRIs) to assist them in pursuing Under Graduate Courses in Indian Universities/Institutes. The programme for the academic year 2018-19 has since been launched, with preference being given to Indian Diaspora in ECR countries (including Sudan). The financial assistance to the extent of 75% of the total institutional cost (IEC) subject to a maximum of US$4000/- is extended by the Government of Indian under the scheme.
2. The scheme is applicable to the following categories:
a) Children of Persons of Indian Origin
b) Children of Persons of Non-Resident Indians
c) Children of Indian workers working in ECR countries studying abroad &
d) Children of Indian workers in ECR countries – studying in India
3. The following institutions are covered under the scheme:
i) Central Universities of India offering Under Graduate courses
ii) A’ Grade institutions accredited by NAAC and recognized by UGC
iii) NITs, IIITs, School of Planning and Architecture through DASA
4. Age Limit: The SPDC is open to applicants in the age group of 17 to 21 years as on 1st October 2018.
5. Income criteria: The total monthly income of the parent(s) of the candidate should not exceed an amount equivalent to US Dollars Four thousand (US$ 4000/-).
6. The online portal for the scheme is http://spdcindia.gov.in Please click here for the guidelines for the academic session 2018-19. The application is to be submitted online on the portal http://spdcindia.gov.in and hard copy of the application form along with supporting documents are required to be submitted to the Embassy of India, Khartoum, for further processing. Detailed guidelines for the year 2018-19 are also available on the portal. The last date for submission of applications is 30 September 2018.
7. This programme is only for award of scholarship and not for getting admission. The students have to first secure admission in the Indian institutions mentioned above on their own and then apply for scholarship under SPDC.